(518) 483-4768

The Town Clerk provides the following services:

Town Clerk

Contact Information:
Sue Nitto

148 Old Meacham Road, Duane 
No Set Office Hours: Please call and leave a message, your call will be returned ASAP.

Phone: (518) 483-1617

Main Function of Office:
The Office of the Town Clerk is considered to be the center of town government. This is the office which is responsible for recording activities of the town government and is the repository of the vital documents of its town residents.


Town Clerk

Hunting and Fishing Licenses Available at Deer River Campsite on the Red Tavern Road 483-0060 (they don’t sell licenses after Columbus Day until May 1st.)

  • Persons sixteen (16) years or older must have a fishing license in order to fish in New York State.
  • Hunting licenses can be obtained by providing identification, a hunter training certificate or a previous hunting license.
  • Identification such as a New York State driver's license is required to obtain hunting and fishing licenses.
  • Senior hunting and fishing licenses are available to persons seventy (70) years or older.
  • Jr. hunting licenses are available for twelve (12) year olds who have taken the hunter training course and are accompanied by a parent or guardian. For first time Junior Hunting Licensees a copy of their birth certificate is required.
  • Bow hunting licenses are available to persons providing proper identification, a current hunting license and a previous bow hunting stamp or bow hunting training certificate.
  • Jr. Archery licenses are available to fourteen (14) year olds who have met all of the Jr. Hunter requirements and possess a Bow Hunter Training Certificate.
  • Non-Resident licenses are available to persons who have met the eligibility requirements and produce photo identification.
Marriage Licenses

Marriage licenses are issued by the Town Clerk and must be obtained at least twenty four (24) hours prior to the ceremony and are valid for up to sixty (60) days. There is a $40 licensing fee for marriage licenses. Identification such as a driver's license and a birth certificate are required. Both parties must be present together in order to apply for a marriage license and must each take an oath. If either party was previously married, a death certificate or divorce decree must be provided to the Town Clerk as evidence that the marriage has been legally dissolved. After the marriage ceremony is performed the completed license is returned to the Town Clerk by the official who performed the marriage. The Town Clerk will mail the Marriage Certificate directly to the couple. Additional certified copies are available to the couple for a fee of $10.

​Dog Licenses

All dogs in New York State must be licensed by the age of four (4) months. Proof of a current rabies vaccination indicating its expiration date is required. Spayed and neutered dogs are licensed at a reduced fee upon presentation of a veterinarian's certification.


License fees are as follows:

Spayed/Neutered dogs...............$10.00
Unspayed/Uneutered dogs..........$ 35.00

Birth Certificates

All births that occur in the Town of Duane are filed with the Town Clerk and a birth certificate is issued. The fee for a certified copy of a birth certificate is $10.

Death Certificates

All deaths which occur in the Town of Duane are filed with the Town Clerk. Certified copies are available to immediate family members for a fee of $10 per copy.

Town Board Meetings

The Town Clerk attends all meetings of the Town Board and must keep a complete and accurate record of the official actions of the Town Board. Regular meetings are held at 7:00 P.M. on the third Wednesday of each month and are preceded by a work session beginning at 8:00 P.M. Please contact the clerk to be placed on the adgenda.

Notary Public

At the present time the town clerk does not provide notary services. Judge Lalonde is available for notary services, please phone to arrange an appointment 518 483-0517.

Freedom of Information

The Freedom of Information Law (FOIL), Public Officers' Law Article 6, provides that all records are accessible, except records or portions of records that fall within one of the nine categories of deniable records. Further information is available by contacting the Town Clerk. Requests must be submitted to the Town Clerk in writing, forms are available in the Office of the Town Clerk.

Handicap Parking Permits

The Town Clerk issues Temporary and Permanent Handicap Parking Permits. A Physician Form must be completed verifying that an individual is in need of a Handicap Parking Permit. This form or a letter from the physician on his or hers letterhead must be presented to the Town Clerk as well as a Government issued photo I.D. License plates are issued through the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.

Handicapped Parking Permit Application

NYS DMV Handicap Permits Order- (518) 861-6905